Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Real name:||Bartholomew Henry Allen|
|First Appearance:||Showcase (Vol 1) #4|
|Created by:|| Robert Kanigher|
|Affiliations:|| The Flash Family|
Central City Police Department
Justice League of America
Blue Lantern Corps
White Lantern Corps
|Abilities:|| Master Detective|
|Portrayed by:|| John Wesley Shipp|
Alan Tudyk (Voice)
George Eads (Voice)
Neil Patrick Harris (Voice)
Michael Rosenbaum (Voice)
Justin Chambers (Voice)
Barry Allen and his twin brother were born two weeks late to Henry and Nora Allen in the small mid western town of Fallville, Iowa. The brother was pronounced stillborn by Dr. Gilmore. However, in actuality, he had been born healthy, but given to another family, the Thawne's, whose child had died during birth. The lateness of Barry's birth only foreshadowed his bad habit of always being late. Barry grew up reading the adventures of his favorite super hero, Jay Garrick, The Original Flash, and acted many of his hero's adventures out with his friend and future actress, Daphne Dean. When he was a child, his mother was killed and his father was convicted of the crime. The drive to prove his father was innocent gave Barry a strong belief in justice. In high school, Barry had a reputation for being slow and easy going. On his first date, he went to a carnival. His date had wanted to put a little motion in his life, and they went on the roller coaster first thing. Because of this, he developed a fear of roller coasters, a fear that he didn't get rid of until much later in his life. Barry loved chemistry from an early age, and that helped his skills as a farmer. He won first place in the Fallville County Fair Agricultural Competition, a prize which included a scholarship to Sun City University. He graduated in three years with a major in organic chemistry and a minor in criminology.
While a senior, Barry helped the authorities apprehend a bank robber, and he was offered a job as a police scientist for the Central City Police Department Scientific Detection Bureau. Eager to be in the sister city of his boyhood hero's home, Keystone City, he accepted the offer. After moving to Central City and getting an apartment with a laboratory in the back, Barry began dating Picture News reporter Iris West, who he met while examining an apparent murder that she was reporting. She was charmed by his honesty and stability. One night during an electrical storm, Barry returned to an experiment after a short break. All of a sudden, a bolt of lightning streaked through the window, knocked him over, and smashed down certain chemicals, giving him a bath in them. Dazed, he decided to return home in a taxi. However, the taxi started to pull away without noticing him. Barry sprinted after it, only to run straight past it as if it had been standing still. He decided to sit down and recollect his thoughts at a diner. A passing waitress accidentally spilled the items of her tray onto Barry, who amazingly caught them all in mid-air and returns them to the tray. The next day, Barry amazingly saved Iris from a stray bullet. There was no question about it: the freak accident had somehow given Barry superhuman speed!
The Birth of The 2nd Flash
Deciding to use his powers to help humanity, Barry designed a special costume. He used a special cold cast polyester he developed in college, which could be molded into miniature outfits from liquid material, that, when submersed in a special liquid, became sensitive to hydrogen, expanding on contact with the hydrogen in the air. A charge from a battery-powered ring he wore on his finger caused the fabric to release the extra hydrogen and shrink into the ring. He later revised the process, making the fabric sensitive to nitrogen instead. He called himself the Flash, a tribute to his childhood idol. He briefly considered wearing a costume that would show his face, like Jay had, but decided that it would be best to wear a mask to conceal his true identity. The first villain he faced was the Turtle Man. As the Flash, Barry later became a founding member of the Justice League of America, where he befriended Hal Jordan, the Green Lantern, with whom he had many adventures both with and without the Justice League. Later still he discovered that Jay Garrick was real, and became friends with him as well.
One summer, Iris's nephew Wally came to visit her in Central City. He was an incredible Flash fan, and he knew his aunt's boyfriend was a "friend" of the Flash, so a meeting was arranged. Flash answered all of Wally's questions. When Wally asked about the lab experiment, Barry set up the cabinet of chemicals in his lab just as it had been during the accident. All of a sudden, lightning came through the window and made Wally into Kid Flash. Eventually, Barry proposed to Iris on a Ferris wheel at the fair. She accepted, and they were married, in spite of the efforts of Professor Zoom, who attempted to foil the ceremony. Barry hid his identity from Iris for a year, although she had known the entire time because he had spoken in his sleep on their honeymoon. He was worried that the accident had made him less human and that they would not be able to have children. However, after performing many tests that first year, he determined that they still could, and he revealed his secret.
However, it was not long before Zoom took Iris's life at a masquerade party. Barry chased him into the timestream and left him there. Barry met and began to date another woman, Fiona Webb. However, on the day they were supposed to be married, Zoom showed up again, claiming that he would once again kill the wife of the Flash. Barry chased him across the world, and failed to show up for his own wedding. In the end, Zoom was about to kill Fiona, but Barry unwittingly killed him. The Flash was charged with manslaughter and had to face a long trial. Barry's face was disfigured severely in a battle with Big Sir. He went to Gorilla City to have his face repaired. Since Barry Allen had supposedly been missing, he decided to have it reconstructed into a completely new face, so that he could keep his secret identity dead.
Later, Barry was brought to the 30th century, where Iris was from and had been reborn. For about a month, they lived in happiness and thanks to great advances in reconstructive surgery that had been made in this era, Barry's original features were restored. Iris would later have twins, Don Allen and Dawn Allen. Barry made a stop in time during his trip to the future and met up with Wally West in a battle against Professor Zoom, and the man that took up the Zoom identity after his death, Hunter Zolomon. The two Flashes each took to fighting their own Reverse Flash and Barry fared much better than Wally, and sent his Zoom through the timestream to the day his neck was broken. It is unclear what happened to him, but he does end up in the 30th century.
Crisis on Infinite Earths
The Crisis on Infinite Earths brought Barry out of retirement. The 30th Century was beginning to fall apart: natural disasters were occurring despite the technology that had been created to stop them, and reality itself was fraying. Flash returned to the 20th century to warn his fellow heroes. Just as he started to warn Batman, he was pulled into the Antimatter Universe by the Anti-Monitor, where he was mentally tortured by the Psycho-Pirate. Finally, he used the Psycho-Pirate to turn all of the Anti-Monitor's servants, the Thunderers, against him. This gave him enough time to destroy the Anti-Monitor's anti-matter cannon by running around it and destroying the outer casing. He ran so incredibly fast that he entered the Speed Force forever. Although there were no remains, a grave for Barry was placed in New York City. Barry's sacrifice became a symbol of true heroism to the entire world and was the primary reason why Wally West took up the mantle of the scarlet speedster in honor of Barry Allen.
Barry Allen's soul comes out from the Speed Force, along with Johnny Quick and Max Mercury, to help his grandson Bart to deal with Superboy-Prime, taking the villainous lad with him in the Speed Force. Bart Allen appears wearing Barry Allen's costume in Tokyo to tell the heroes that Superboy Prime has escaped the Speed Force. Bart again reappears in Barry Allen's costume to combat Superboy Prime once more. Barry spent four years in an alternate Keystone City along with Max Mercury, Johnny Quick and an alternate Jay Garrick, until he met Bart and Wally West, joining him after the battle against Superboy-Prime. After Superboy escapes, Barry suggests that someone of the still living speedsters has to absorb the whole Speed Force and cross the dimensional bridge back to Post-Crisis Earth. As Bart volunteers, Barry gives him his suit as a last gift, to keep the Force contained, and stays behind.
Barry Allen has recently returned to the land of the living. He appeared to Wally and Jay after emerging from the time stream chasing the bullet fired backwards through time that killed Orion, and being chased by the Black Racer.He simply says to Wally West and Jay Garrick "Run!". Barry and Wally run so one month into the future, only to find that Darkseid has conquered the world. They are soon discovered by a group of Female Furies composed of the Anti-Life corrupted Wonder Woman, Mary Marvel, Catwoman, and Giganta. Evading the Furies, they head to Iris' apartment, where Barry is able to break the Anti-Life Equation's hold over her with a kiss, assuring Iris that everything is going to be all right. Barry and Wally then came up with a plan on how to stop Darkseid, who had now taken over the world. Barry came up with the idea to use the Black Racer as a weapon. He and Wally allowed it to catch up and then ran from it, going straight at Darkseid. Darkseid's followers who were under the control of Anti-Life fired omega beams at them but Barry and his former sidekick managed to outrun the beams and just as they were about to collide with Darkseid, they vibrated through him, causing the Black Racer to crash into him, severely wounding him. After Darkseid had been defeated, Barry reunited with all of his friends and family.
Celebrations within the super hero community and the public were quickly organized after hearing the news of Central City's Flash's return. Bart Allen had also returned from the dead, shortly after Barry, and for the first time ever, all four people who had ever worn the Flash suit were running around at the same time. Rather than visit the parades in his honor or go to the parties his friends had put together, Barry went to the Flash Museum. He met his old friend, Hal Jordan there and they walked around the museum together, catching Barry up on what he's missed. Barry used his super speed to look around the museum very quickly and decided to leave, telling Hal that he didn't have time to relax. That he should be wherever the rest of the world needed him to be. He donned his Flash suit and then left the museum. As he ran, the lightning on his chest split open and Savitar emerged from within, escaping the Speed Force. Barry had read about Savitar in the museum and chased him down but when he touched him, Savitar turned to dust telling Barry that he was the beginning and would also be the end. The effects of Barry accidentally killing Savitar could be felt around the speedsters, who felt great pain. Barry went back home to find Iris talking with the police. He discovered that he had been labeled under witness protection all these years (though his identity used to be public knowledge before Spectre erased that information). He got a call from Wally and met up with him, where they traveled to Barry's home town to find that the Black Flash was dead. They were ambushed by one of Savitar's followers who formerly called herself Lady Flash. Barry touched her and she was turned to dust just like her master was. This time, the surge of power from turning a speedster to dust was worse and Barry was transformed into the new Black Flash.
The superhero community came to his aid, building a machine around him that would sever his tie with the Speed Force forever. Bart Allen arrived, questioning his grandfather onto why Max Mercury didn't escape from the Speed Force like he did but Barry couldn't give an answer. Iris showed up, trying to comfort Barry but there was a surge of power in his Black Flash abilities and he broke through the machine. He could feel his new powers trying to reach out and take his fellow speedsters in the area so he told Hal to get him out of there. Green Lantern took him away with Superman and Wonder Woman at his side. Once they were clear of the area, Hal let Barry go and the Flash made a split second decision to run back into the Speed Force as he shouldn't even have escaped in the first place. He began to run, the Black Flash part of him vanishing once he hit light speed as death couldn't travel past the speed of light. Superman chased after him, trying to convince him not to leave, saying that he could keep up with Barry. The Flash said that those races they used to have were just for charity and sprinted away, far out of reach. He became engulfed in light, seeing his whole life go backwards from his return from the grave to his birth. He went into the Speed Force to find that much had changed and Johnny Quick and Max Mercury were trapped. Johnny touched Barry, turning to dust and Max grabbed onto him to. Barry tried to warn him not to but Max said that it wasn't Barry. Before he could reveal the name of the person responsible, Barry and Max were whisked away, further into the Speed Force which was now filled with red lightning, to find Professor Zoom, a strange staff in hand, smiling down at him.
Thawne battled Barry and Max, explaining that Barry's return was all part of a plan he had put into motion long ago. He had returned after Barry had died destroying the Anti-Monitor's cannon but when Barry reached out of the Speed Force to help Bart defeat Superboy Prime, Barry had accidentally left an opening into the Speed Force. Thawne then let out a pulse that woke up what was left up Barry's awareness. This drew Barry back, making him believe he was needed to stop a Darkseid and the Anti-Life Equation, returning from the Speed Force. Thawne then created the Negative Speed Force, the crimson lightning that was now taking over the original Speed Force. He contaminated Barry with its power, transforming him into the new Black Flash. Thawne explained that Barry was supposed to kill all of his friends and family with a touch but Barry had run into the Speed Force instead. Thawne escaped, leaving Barry and Max trapped in the corrupted Speed Force. Barry attempted to escape but Max explained that he wouldn't be able to get out due to not having a lightning rod, a loved one, on the other side to help him find his way back. Max then told Barry that when he was struck by lightning all those years ago, he had accidentally created the very Speed Force itself. He was the engine for the Speed Force and the creator of the golden lightning. Barry continued his attempt to break free from the Negative Speed Force, his body being transformed into Black Flash once again. He pleaded with Max to leave with him, saying that Max had been like a grandfather and a mentor to Bart, something that Barry was never there for to be. After telling Max that he considered him family, Max took his hand and agreed to try to get out with him. Wally appeared, having followed Barry into the Speed Force. The three speedsters broke free, using their combined yellow lightning to push through the red. They arrived back on Earth through lightning bolts with Barry leading the speedsters' charge on the Reverse-Flash.
Barry was first in line to attack Thawne and all of the speedsters worked together to force him back. Then, the Reverse-Flash decided he'd prefer if it was just him and Barry and grabbed onto Flash, taking them away from the others. While fighting, Thawne explained that he had been behind all of the pain Barry had ever experienced, ranging from being the thing that knocked him down the stairs when he was a boy to being the one responsible for the death of his mother. Barry was shocked to hear that Thawne had completely changed the timeline, stripping Barry from the life he used to have where his parents grew old together. Full of utmost anger, Barry tried to attack his nemesis but Thawne got away, fleeing into the past, stating that he was going to kill Iris before she even met Barry.
Barry followed his nemesis' trail into the past, with Wally coming to his aid. After a furious chase, the two fastest men alive managed to intercept Reverse-Flash milliseconds before he was going to murder Iris. They fought the villain who spouted his knowledge of the future, telling Wally that one of his children would eventually turn on him. Barry didn't want to hear any of this and managed to get a hold on Thawne. He pushed his adversary back to the present where the Justice League and other speedsters had reassembled the machine they had tried to cut Barry's tie to the Speed Force with when he was Black Flash. Barry threw him into the machine and they severed his connection to the Negative Speed Force before incarcerating him in Iron Heights.
Barry decided it was finally time to celebrate and took part in the parade the twin cities had planned for him with all of the other speedsters. He then went to finally close the case of his mother's death, now knowing the true killer's identity. He then discovered that there were still plenty of unsolved cases and that it was time for him to get back into his police work. He then went to Iris and they finally got some alone time to talk. Barry talked about how he didn't want to move fast all the time anymore and that he knew that death could get him just as easily as before. But until then, he'd slow down to spend the rest of his life with Iris. Later, he arrived to the Justice League's welcome back party, late as usual but with a smile on his face.
The Blackest Night
A short time after his battle with the Reverse-Flash, Barry is at the Hall of Justice with Hal Jordan, still trying to catch up on everything that he's missed. He asks Hal to let him see just who has died over the past years. Hal creates a giant construct of dozens of heroes who had died just since Barry has been away. Barry is shocked to see one of his old pals Ralph Dibney, the Elongated Man, is now dead. He's so surprised by this revelation that he collapses into a chair. Hal and Barry suddenly receive a distress call from Bruce Wayne's butler, Alfred who tells them that Bruce's grave has been desecrated and his skull taken. They go to the former Batman's headstone and investigate when they are suddenly confronted by Martian Manhunter, now apparently back to life. He suddenly attacks them, now resurrected by the Black Power Rings of death that are allowing the dead to rise across the universe. Barry and Hal desperately fight their now undead friend who taunts them mercilessly as they battle. Barry tries to break through to any part of J'onn that could still be alive, saying that he and J'onn used to talk cases together due to J'onn's alter ego being a detective. The Black Lantern Martian Manhunter ignores this and tosses Barry into a chemical plant. Barry continues to fight J'onn, quickly mixing the chemicals around and letting Hal drop a car on the chemicals which causes a massive explosion. However, despite the fact that fire is a Martian's weakness, the blast proved ineffective. It is then that they are ambushed by more Black Lantern friends of theirs such as Ralph and Sue Dibney, the Hawks, and the first Firestorm, Ronnie Raymond who called dibs on Barry.
The Elongated Man ignored Firestorm's dibs and attacked Barry first, taunting Flash with the fact that they used to be the best of buds. The Flash tries to hold his own but they are clearly outmatched. They are only saved by the mysterious Indigo Tribe, wielders of the indigo light of compassion, similar to Green Lantern's light of willpower. They bring them to the Hall of Justice to explain the situation. They say that they must gather the other light wielders and that only combined lights of the emotional spectrum can sever the connection between the ring and the bearer and destroy the Black Lantern. They take Hal with them as they go to collect the other corps' leaders, leaving Barry to protect Earth with the other heroes. The morgue of villains that the JLA kept in the Hall recieve Black Rings and converge on Flash. With the help of the Atom, Barry escapes from the onslaught. He explains to Atom and Mera, the deceased Aquaman's wife, that right now, the entire world is compromised and that they must really step it up if they wanted to live through it.
Flash then set out across the globe, warning his allies of the risen heroes and villains who were attempting to collect victims' hearts in order for their rings to reach 100% power. Barry explained to everyone that the Black Lanterns feed off emotions and act like the people the rings are wearing to get a reaction out of you. After warning everyone, Barry is faces both the present version of Reverse-Flash, who's still dead, as a Black Lantern, not yet resurrected in time to when he will come back with the Negative Speed Force. He also faces his old friend Solovar, former ruler of Gorilla City who has been turned into a Black Lantern. Barry escapes both of these foes and then finds Black Hand in Coast City when suddenly, the Black Lantern Central Power Battery is transported to Earth and the being in charge of the entire plan, Nekron rises in front of Barry. Barry attacks the mob of Black Lanterns but is quickly overrun until Wally comes to his rescue, shortly followed by other heroes. Barry, Wally, and Bart try to rescue the Guardians of the Universe but are stopped once they reach them. Nekron revealed that all of the heroes who have died and come back are still his and unleashed Black Power Rings on them all, including Barry. Barry managed to flee from the pursuing rings, taking Hal with him two seconds into the future, disconnecting the rings. He then had to fight Bart, who had been successfully turned into a Black Lantern. During that battle the other colored corps' lantern rings divided themselves in order to deputize someone for twenty-four hours and the Blue Power Ring of hope came to Barry, making him a Blue Lantern. He ran towards Hal saying "All will be well". Now a wielding a power ring, Barry and Saint Walker, the Blue Lantern who had given Barry his ring, faced off with Ronnie Raymond, Solovar, Bart, and Reverse-Flash with help from Wally. Barry and Wally discovered that Bart was still connected to them through the Speed Force so Barry vibrated into him, able to communicate with the real Bart inside. He told his grandson that even though they don't know each other well yet, he wants to be there for him as a grandfather. Bart was freed from the Black Power Ring and the Flashes set off to Coast City, to help the others. Barry joined his fellow lantern wielding allies against the Spectre and after a brutal battle, they managed to free the Spectre from being trapped by the Black Power Ring. Their victory was short lived as Nekron arrived.
Barry continued to fight off Black Lanterns and he managed to rescue Hal from Black Hand. Hal then made contact with the white entity of life and transformed everyone who had died and been resurrected before(including Barry) into White Lanterns to direct the white light at Black Hand. Black Hand was returned to life and that left Nekron vulnerable to attack. Nekron was destroyed when a dozen white rings flew through his body and these white rings brought back many people, including Eobard Thawne, which explains how he was revived and able to go back in time to kill Barry's mother, and the original Captain Boomerang. Barry tried to attack Thawne but he managed to escape into the past and then he knocked out Boomerang. Barry then looked for Raplh and Sue Dibny but discovered that they were not present. Later, he spoke with Hal about the newly resurrected friends and enemies, wondering why not everybody had come back.
The Brightest Day
Barry reintegrates himself into life in Central City. Under the cover of having been in witness protection, Allen returns to the Central City Police Department's crime lab and returns to the streets as the Flash. While readjusting to life as the Flash, a man appears out of thin air in the costume of Flash rogue the Mirror Master, and promptly dies on the street. When Barry arrives on the scene to investigate, he sees the man is neither original Mirror Master Sam Scudder, or the current Rogue, Evan McCulloch. Hearing of another portal appearing, Barry transforms into the Flash and runs to investigate. When he arrives, a group of people in costumes similar to the Rogues, called The Renegades appear and tell Barry that they are from the 25th century, and that he is under arrest for murdering the "Mirror Monarch." Barry tells the crew that he hasn't killed anyone, to which their leader, "Commander Cold," tells him, "Not yet. But you will." After a brief struggle, the Renegades retreat but accidentally destroy an apartment building in their jump back to the 25th century. Barry saves everyone in the building, even rebuilding the building in minutes, and goes on to search for the true killer of Mirror Monarch. He is attacked again by the Renegades, but only before Captain Boomerang shows up, now wielding explosive energy boomerangs. Boomerang fights both the Flash and the Renegades, and a confused Top (one of the Renegades from the 25th century) questions his teammates on whether or not Barry Allen is the man they are looking for, pointing out that in their timeline, Boomerang never showed up. The Renegades finally corner Captain Boomerang when the Rogues arrive with a giant mirror left by the previous Mirror Master that says "In Case The Flash Returns Break Glass." An all out brawl ensues as the Rogues battle the Renegades. Meanwhile Flash is confronted by Top who warns him that the reason he will eventually kill Mirror Monarch is because of Iris's death, which he claims will be caused when the giant mirror breaks, releasing the Mirror Lords. Top tells Barry that one of the Mirror Lords will possess Iris and take her away from him. Barry races to stop the mirror from breaking, with Top at his side. However, when the White Lantern entity reaches out to Captain Boomerang, telling him to "Throw the Boomerang", Boomerang responds by throwing dozens of boomerangs in every direction. One of them hits the glass and it begins to break. Top tells the Flash to stop the Mirror Lords, while he goes and protects Iris. Flash questions, "This doesn't make any sense," but Top throws him into the mirror and flees.
In the mirror, Flash is exposed to strange visions of his mother. Outside, the Rogue Mirror Master tells the others that the mirror is actually a slow acting poison and they flee. Barry escapes the mirror confused and asks, "Where are the Mirror Lords?" He is then arrested by the Renegades, who realize that this was all a setup by Top to frame the Flash for his own personal gains. Barry is transported to a 25th century court, while Top confronts Iris. Barry escapes the 25th century court and goes after Top. Top reveals that the reason for all of his crimes is because Barry reopened a previously closed case. Barry felt that the person convicted was actually innocent. The person who is actually guilty of the crime is one of Top's ancestors. Top reveals that they do not allow anyone in the Renegades who has any ancestors with a criminal record. The Flash is able to beat Top, and convict the right man for murder, letting go the innocent man who was sent to prison. Afterward, the 25th century court and the Renegades go over the facts, realizing that the Flash was right and that their entire record of history is wrong. That morning, Barry arrives late for work after having battled Gorilla Grodd at the zoo. He is sent to investigate a potential homicide. The victim's prints and costumed match those of the Elongated Kid. However, the body is that of a very old man. The investigation causes Barry to miss a family picnic.
That night, Barry calls his old colleague, Patty Spivot, hoping to get her help on the case. However, the power suddenly goes out and the crime lab is attacked by the mysterious Hot Pursuit. Changing into the Flash, Barry chases him to the river. Here, Hot Pursuit reveals himself to be an alternate version of Barry. Hot Pursuit explains to the Flash that he came to New Earth to investigate about a mysterious anomaly that could affect New Earth and all realities as well. Then, Kid Flash rushes in front of them, explaining that he came to check on him since he didn't go to the family picnic. Hot Pursuit is interested in Bart and his connection to the Speed Force. Hot Pursuit explains that since Bart is from the future, he could cease to exist due to the anomaly. Barry offers to help Hot Pursuit, but Hot Pursuit simply wants to work alone. But somehow, Hot Pursuit's Cosmic Motorcycle pulls the Speed Force right out of Barry, and he falls to the ground. When Bart catches up to him he automatically assumes that he is going to help Barry, but he refuses. Bart then says that Barry is no better than Hot Pursuit, then begins to question Barry's absence from the picnic even further, and says that the only reason Barry wasn't there, is because Bart was there. He then runs off. Later, back as Barry Allen, he is in his crime lab, analyzing some DNA he pulled from Hot Pursuit. The analysis confirms that he is Barry Allen. Soon after, Patty Spivot walks in, and after a small reunion, Barry asks her to help with the case regarding the Elongated Kid. But, she declines, saying that because she no longer works at the crime lab, she can't get involved. Then, Barry gets a call from David Singh. They have another body. At the crime scene, they notice that he, like the Elongated Kid, looks very old, however, he is identified as 30 year old, airman Jay Nicolosi, because he has a wallet on him, and near the crime scene they find a rut in the ground that looks like a tire track. Then, something in the distance gets their attention, it's a little boy, a witness. In the crime labs, Barry and Patty continue investigating the case. David Singh then walks in, saying that the kid is in child services, and that he's alright, but they can't find his parents. And the kid isn't saying a word. In the front lobby, the kid is curled up in one of the chairs. Patty tells Barry that he should talk to him, maybe he can make the kid more comfortable. But just then the kid leaps from his chair, and clings to Patty. She once again says that she can't get involved, but as Barry asks her again, she accepts, and brings the boy down to the cafeteria for something to eat. Once again at the crime lab, Barry and James Forrest brainstorm on the tire tracks found at the scene of both crimes. However, they don't get far, because Barry gets a text from Iris, reading: "Need You Home. 911." Barry races home, to find his entire family all in his living room. Iris says that they need to talk about how Barry has been going nonstop, about why Barry wasn't at the picnic. Barry explains that he's been really busy and that there is someone really dangerous on the loose out there. Jay reminds him that every second counts and that he needs to slow down, and live his life. Wally West then says that Barry taught him that same principle that Jay just said years ago. He then asks, why won't he live it. Then, Iris asks Bart Allen if there is anything he wants to say. Bart declines, and Barry apologizes to him for being so distant. Bart jumps from his seat and just wants to know why Barry can't be the person he's suppose to look up to and respect. He runs off, and Barry chases after him. Hot Pursuit rushes up to Bart on the street and grabs him, but before he can take him, the Flash steps in his way. Hot Pursuit explains that Bart is the anomaly and must be sent back to the future. As Flash and Hot Pursuit fight, Hot Pursuit's club detects the actual anomaly. Hot Pursuit goes after the anomaly, and Flash and Kid Flash follow him. The anomaly is in fact Professor Zoom, who is attacking Patty. The Flash takes Patty to safety, and Patty reveals to him that Zoom transformed himself into the boy the police found in Jay Nicolosi's murder scene. The Flash then returns to attacks Zoom. Hot Pursuit uses his stick to drain the Speed Force out of Zoom, and tells the Flash and Kid Flash to evacuate the building because when the Speed Force process ends, everything within one hundred feet will age to dust. The Flash and Kid Flash evacuate the building, but Zoom overcomes Hot Pursuit's club and kills him. The Flash and Kid Flash pursue Zoom to a park, but Zoom disguises himself as an old man, and the two heroes lose him. The Flash and Kid Flash then check up on Hot Pursuit's empty suit, and the Flash reveals to Kid Flash that Thawne is the one who killed his mother. In the police station, Barry checks on Patty. Although Patty is unscathed, she feels she made a mistake in coming back to Central City, revealing that when she worked as Barry's assistant, she had a crush on him. However, she felt that since he was obsessed over his mother's case, she felt that she had to back away until Barry could close that chapter of his life. But when Barry finally became more open, he fell in love with Iris. In that moment, Iris appears, and Patty leaves, not wanting to have an awkward moment. Later on, Barry and Iris are having a talk in the coffee house. She is concerned because he is turning into a workaholic again. He explains that he grew out of that because he managed to stop blaming himself for his mother's death. However, with the revelation that Professor Zoom - one of his enemies traveled through time and killed his mother, those feelings have come back. Iris says that he has friends and family, and he can forgive himself for the actions of his enemy. Later that day, Barry goes to leave flowers on his mother's grave and apologize for his part in her death. He then walks away as the day ends. Suddenly, Professor Zoom begins his plan to destroy the Flash once and for all.
Barry wakes up in his office and discovers that his mother is alive, with no trace of Superman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman leading their respective nations in a war, his wife Iris is unmarried and himself currently powerless. Barry seeks Batman who might help, and he drives to Gotham City and enters a run-down Wayne Manor and explores a small Batcave until he is attacked by Batman. Barry tries to explain who he is by saying he knows Batman is Bruce Wayne, although then he realizes that Batman is Thomas Wayne. While Barry is being beat up by Batman, he explains about his secret identity as the Flash and his relation to Bruce Wayne. Barry's memories spontaneously change and learn that the world of Flashpoint is not an alternate dimension, but his own. Barry uses his ring, which he uses to contain his Flash outfit, but the ring, instead ejects Professor Zoom's costume and Barry tells Batman that Zoom is taunting him with it. Barry explains that both he and Zoom have the ability to alter time, leading Batman to ask him about how Bruce was to have lived in his place and if he can really change the world, Barry needs his speed first. Later, Barry and Batman create an electric chair-like device to try and recreate the accident that gave him his speed, however the first attempt met with failure, leaving Barry severely burned. Barry awakes on an operating table in the Batcave and is covered in bandages and third degree burns. Despite Thomas' advice, Barry sits back down in the electric chair device. When lightning strikes grants Barry's super-speed to return and he then saves the Batman from being impaled on a fence, Barry's injuries are healing rapidly the speed-enhanced regeneration and he recreates his Flash costume. The Flash researches the incarnations of heroes of the DC timeline, believing that Zoom deliberately changed their lives to prevent the Flash from creating a Justice League and learns of a rocket that crashed into Metropolis which carried the infant Superman, who instead of being raised in Kansas was taken in by the government. They then contact Cyborg for his help in sneaking into the government bunker of "Project: Superman" that is 'raising' Superman after his rocket destroyed Metropolis upon its arrival, only to be disappointed at Superman's frail appearance. They head towards Project: Superman's underground base via the sewer. The group comes across a giant vault door bearing the Superman logo. After they open the door, the three see a pale, weakened form of Superman. Despite his appearance, Barry says that no matter what, Superman will always be a good person. When the arrival of guards forces them to escape, Superman gets his powers that begin to manifest and he flies off leaving them at the hands of the guards. While they fend off the guards, they are rescued by Element Woman. Barry's memories begin to change much more drastically, altering his past and states that he is running out of time and soon he will not be able to restore the timeline to normal. After Barry is recovering, he asks the heroes to stop the Atlantean/Amazon war from creating more casualty, although the heroes are not willing to unless Batman wants to join them. Cyborg explains to him that they believe Batman was invincible. However, Barry convinces him that no one is invincible; the Marvel Family are agreeing to join him which Batman is agreeing too as well. The heroes arrive at New Themyscira to stop the Atlantean/Amazon war, and appear to be winning until Enchantress reveals herself as the Amazon spy and uses her magic to separate the Marvel Family and restore them to their mortal forms. Penthesileia kills Billy Batson just as Professor Zoom reveals himself to Barry. Professor Zoom reveals to him that the Flashpoint universe was actually created by Barry himself, after he traveled back in time to stop Zoom from killing his mother. He continues to taunt Barry with this knowledge, but he was stabbed in the back by an Amazonian sword and killed by Batman. Before Barry returns the timeline to normal, Batman thanks him for all he's done and gives him a letter addressed to his son. After this, Barry bids a farewell to his mother, knowing he must travel back in time to stop his younger self from altering time. Barry merges with his past counterpart in an attempt to stop him, creating a new different timeline. After Barry restores the timeline, he visits the original Bruce Wayne and gives him a letter from his alternate father. Bruce is grateful to Barry of informing him of the events of the Flashpoint before the timeline was apparently returned to normal.
In this new timeline, details of Barry Allen's history have changed. He has never been married to Iris West, and instead is in a relationship with co-worker Patty Spivot. Wally West does not appear to be present in this timeline. Bart Allen is still a member of the Teen Titans as Kid Flash, although their relationship is unclear. Flash begins to learn more about the Speed Force, which begins to enhance his mental speed.
Powers and Abilities
- Speed Force: Barry Allen is The Generator of The Speed Force. The Speed Force is a vaguely defined extra dimensional energy force from which most super speed powered heroes draw their powers. The Speed Force serves as the ultimate measure of velocity in the DC Universe. They are often referred to in terms of barriers: Sound barrier, Light barrier, Time Barrier, Dimensional Barrier, and finally the Speed Force Barrier. Barry Allen is the very source and creator of the Speed Force,and generates it with every step he takes. Therefore he is the fastest if he needs if he needs to go faster he can just generate more energy just like when he escaped the Negative Speed Force. For this very reason, he is unaffected if any other speedster tries to steal or drain his speed. Barry Allen is the fastest of the Flashes, and is arguably one of, the fastest beings to have ever existed. He is currently fast enough to easily break all of the barriers and even enter the Speed Force itself, and is one of the few people to have ever escaped from it. He does not often go beyond Mach 10, as speeds above that level are catastrophic to the environment. He has outrun Death in the form of The Black Racer, and can reach any speed he can imagine, and more. If Barry is ever in a dimension without the Speed Force he can create it once again this was shown in FlashPoint.
- Superhuman Speed: Speed Force conduits have one main ability above all else. Conduits are connected to the barrier and accumulation of all Speed known in their universe. These characters immediately understand how to run at superhuman speeds and their bodies instinctively understand how to react at high-speed situations. Older speedsters have a reduced but maxed speed of 770 mph which is just below sonic booms allowing them to react to situations without causing civilians undo stress. Speedsters in their prime can travel at much faster speeds such as the max level of recorded aided speed on Earth and even reach the speed of light with enough willpower. It is possible for conduits to travel much faster than the speed of light however such levels require an incredible amount of stress. Speedsters unaccustomed to their max level of speeds may detach themselves from the Speed Force or even become part of the Speed Force by accident.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Barry possesses reflexes far greater than a normal human being. This allows him toeasily see and percieve other speedsters and instantly react to nearly any attack or event.
- Superhuman Stamina: Speed Force conduits have to access the Speed Force for a number of different tasks. Most Speedsters use their superhuman speed and react at superhuman speeds; therefore, they must run for extended periods or operate for a large amount of time. Their bodies can handle the stresses of superhuman racing without noticeable distress
- Superhuman Agility: Barry's agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to superhuman levels. This allows him to easily make sharp turns and leap far distances while moving at superhuman speed.
- Accelerated Healing: Speed Force conduits are not invulnerable nor durable enough to sustain damage however if they are harmed they will heal at high speeds. Any normal wear and tear damage to their bodies are almost instantly healed.
- Aerokinesis: Speed Force conduits that plant themselves on the ground and rotate their extremities can cause an incredible amount of wind to burst through their focused funnel. Most Speedsters use this ability automatically when they run reducing the air currents around their body to low enough levels to no longer inhibit their speed. Creatively, Speedsters can create tornadoes and gusts with their arms.
- Decelerated Aging: Speed Force conduits have a slowed aging process. This power can be imparted on their most intimate loved ones by extended contact rather than distribution.
- Dimensional Travel: Through the use of the cosmic treadmill, Barry can use his speed to create wormholes. This allowed him to travel to the Speed Force. Using his Speed Mind enables him to willingly enter and exit the speed force at will, for as Solovar once said "The mind will always be faster".
- Electrokinesis: Barry's body generates Speed Force energy that manifests itself as yellow lightning. The heat from the lightning also creates a thermal expansion that allows Barry's suit to be stored in his ring. Barry is capable of projecting bolts of lightning from his hands, and forcefully discharging a large burst of lightning from his body. Barry also states that metal reacts strangely around him. This is due to the electricity generated from his body magnetizing and conducting metals near him.
- Energy Construct Creation: Speed Force conduits can use the matter generated by their speed to create solid objects such as walls or bridges. This power requires constant concentration and reapplication of the construct for it to remain stable. Barry Allen has mastered this ability and used it several times Flash's after images are also construct creations. He has used this in Flashpoint to change the reverse flash costume to the Flash costume.
- Flight: Speed Force conduits can rotate their arms and spin their bodies like tops to achieve something of a kind of helicopter flight. However, with practice conduits can even achieve controllable flight if launched at high speeds. Despite their flight abilities they are always faster on their feet.
- Increased Perceptions: Speed Force conduits traveling at the speed of sound may miss important events as they run by. The Speed Force grants them enhanced senses that allow them to see, hear, smell, touch and/or taste at an increased speed and understand it as it is processed.
- Infinite Mass Punch: Speed Force conduits have an increased level of strength added to their bodies which they can impart in different ways. Certain speedsters can strength each and every move they make however this requires attention and stress for each movement and therefore is almost never used. In most cases conduits can focus the Speed Force's extra-dimensional energies into one massive punch; when used in practiced this punch pushed a metahuman from one continent to another.
- Phasing: Speed Force conduits can vibrate their molecules so quickly that they can achieve intangibility allowing them to phase through objects.
- Self Sustenance: Speed Force conduits travel at incredible speeds which cause their bodies to work overtime. In situations where their bodies may be too fast for them to breathe they may impart on the Speed Force for sustenance. However, this almost always results in the conduits having an increased metabolism at all times requiring them to constantly refill their energy supplies.
- Sharing The Force: Speed Force conduits can allow their friends or family members to run along side them at their equaled speeds. Certain conduits who may only have minor access to the Force may achieve full levels of the Force due to the main conduit's association with it.
- Speed Force Aura: People who are propelled by the conduits during high speed situations can survive the harsh conditions associated with mach speeds. When the conduit must rescue an individual from a burning building these individuals will be protected while within the aura.
- Speed Force Conduit: People who, for whatever reason, are connected to the Speed Force are sometimes called Speed Force Conduits. This means that they are connected to the Speed Force and are tethered to it. Some characters may control their Speed Force imparted powers in different ways such as only Superhuman Strength or even directed through Lighting but no matter their adaptions they are still connected to the Force.
- Steal Speed: Speed Force conduits can steal the accelerated motion or momentum from objects or people to reduce their speed or even virtually stop them. Conduits may also steal the speed from other Speedsters or other fast moving people.
- Supercharged Brain Activity: Sometimes neglected by Speedsters who only operate at superhuman speeds and never slow down enough to understand their full potential; Speedsters can access superhuman levels in their brains further than processing information. They can test theories, understand difficult equations and run trial and error in their brains at superhuman speeds. Different conduits access this activity in different ways.
- Super Speed Reading: He is capable of speed-reading at superhuman rates, accumulating mass amounts of knowledge in seconds.
- Master Detective: Barry is skilled as a forensic scientist.
- Forensic Pathology
- Chemistry: As a forensic scientist, he is an expert chemist.
- Criminology: As a police officer/forensic scientist, Barry is adept in criminal psychology and often discusses these topics with Batman.
- Hope: Barry has the ability to instill hope in others to such a degree, he can successfully use a Blue Lantern Corps's Blue Lantern Power Ring.
- Barry has shown that he is able to carry several people at a time when evacuating a dangerous area, whether feats like this are performed while running on adrenaline is not known. Barry possesses the strength level of a man his age, size and weight who engages in intensive regular exercise, and can at least press lift his own body weight. However, his powers allow him to throw punches at speeds that, on impact, can have the same effect someone with superhuman strength can have.
- Inexperience with Time Travel: At first, it was believed that Barry could not affect or change his own past when he travelled through time, just like Professor Zoom. In the Flashpoint, this was revealed to be false. However, Barry does not know how to control this ability, and when he tried to save his mother from Professor Zoom, he ended up significantly changing his friends's lives.
- To protect their secret identities, Wally West has recalled that Barry insisted they be late for everything. He mentions not having seen the beginning of a movie for ten years.
- Coming Soon
In Other Media
- On Smallville, Barry Allen was Referenced in The Episode Run as one of Bart Allen's Aliases.
- On October 15th, 2014, Warner Bros. announced that Ezra Miller was cast as Barry Allen and will Star in a Live Action Film Adaptation of The Flash set to be Released on March 23, 2018. Ezra Miller will also appeared in Part 1 and Part 2 of the Justice League Films as well.